Sunday, May 20, 2012

Too Much Information! LOL

Warning~ Don't read any farther if you get weirded out easy.   You are easily shocked or horrified about how some hippies live. And probably if you are a male. This is most likely TMI for you.  LOL. But it is part of my sewing life so I'm going to share.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I haven't bought a pad or tampon for myself in over 7 years. Yes, I make my own reusable pads. Why? you ask.  I was part of a breast feeding , cloth diapering , co~sleeping mommy group when my son was 2 years old. Yes, I breast fed my son till he was one.  And he was cloth diapered and slept with me 3/4 of the time.  All the other mommies talked about wearing 'mommy pads' and one day they got together to make some. I love to sew, so I went. Really to sew and hang out with the girls.  I ended up make 3 pads that day.  I took them home, tried them out and have never gone back to disposable.
They are so much more comfortable and save me money. :o)  And it is really for those two reasons!!! It takes me a good 3-4 hours to make 4 or 5 of them, they are super easy to make.  I laid out in the sun today while cutting them all out. Then came in, popped in "You Got Mail" and watched it while stitching them up.

Here is some of the cute flannel I have.


The campers and bus flannel is one of my favorites of course.

And here are the ones I made today. (no snaps yet). I use metal snaps, but am thinking of getting some plastic snaps this time. I just need to find a good place to get them from.  These pads last me about 3 years. So I don't need to make them very often. I usually make a batch once a year.   Well, there you have it....my crazy hippie secret is out. LOL.  I hope you don't judge me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other stitchy news..... I finished tracing my Hocuspocusville block #5.

Happy stitching to you all who got through my crazy post.~~~  teehee hee ~~

6 comments:

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Que ótimo, parabéns!Criei três filhas com fraldas de pano,hoje tenho dois netos que minha filha usa descartável,acho um horror.Libera um TUTORIAL ou me mande molde por E-mail,por caridade.Um beijo.tiacarminhapezzuto@gmail.com

Jantine said...

While readign the only question that popped in my had was: "how much" or "how long" they hold, when using them ;-)

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Great idea, Amy. I use the cloth washable ones from Ellwood Thompson's that I got in some of our more prosperous years (a while ago!). Some of them I have had for nine years and they still are holding up very well. They save tons of money, are environmentally friendly, and are alot more comfortable than tampons or those stupid sticky back pads. You should post a tutorial.

Michaelanne said...

Haha!!! Good post Amy! It has to be said by SOMEBODY:) They are WAY cuter than store bought pads too! I, myself, have never made any...my time is limited, and I am trying to finish all kinds of WIPs...but, they are inspiring!

Kristal Dawn Evens said...

Do you know where I can get a pattern!? Really want to try this! Thanks!

Lisa said...

Gasp! The horror! Lol... just kidding. My mom makes hers too. She LOVES them. She, like you, made a couple, "just to see" and hasn't turned back since. Says they're one of the best things she's ever made for herself. Good for you!